Saturday, May 21, 2011

When Pigs Fly BBQ. Family owned and Gluten free Barbecue on the West Side.

Okay, I admit it.  I must be a homer since almost every place I go to, I love.  
Once again I found a gluten free place worthy of gushing about.  "When Pigs fly" is a Texas style BBQ joint Near Kellogg and the 235.  
It is family owned and the parking lot smells like what heaven probably smells like.


My family went with high expectations and were not disappointed.  The ribs were definitely the best part.  They weren't fatty and still they weren't stringy.  All of the meats were dry rubbed and the ribs were no exception.  I poured the BBQ sauce all over them and they were perfect.  Once bathed in sauce they might have been a little bit salty but when you are eating BBQ, I doubt you are searching for healthy

Another great standout was the baked beans.  These baked beans were slightly spicy, a little sweet and the most surprising thing was the bean choice.  There was an assortment of kidney beans, white beans and magic beans which I would have sold the house for.  It had a distinct taste of chili powder and some other spices I recognized but could not place.  I liked these better than hog wild.  Not nearly as sweet and they grew on me with each bite.
Yummy baked beans

The brisket was good but not quite as good as Hog Wild or Dolce and Joe's.  It was a little dry.  I added a lot of  sauce and enjoyed it still.  They also had loaded potatoes available, which my wife, daughter and mother in law partook of.  They seemed to enjoy theirs.  My mother in law, Ann liked the dry spices on the pulled pork and never added any sauce.  I liked it as well but since I like the Kansas City style, I would have preferred it swimming.



Loaded baked potato
All in all it was a profitable evening.  I will definitely return.  It seems like it would be nice to go there on the way to or from the Zoo.  If you have been there or end up going please make sure you post on here what you thought.

Also it is a few hours since we've eaten and my stomach feels fine.  Full but fine.  No celiac reaction so far.

1 comment:

  1. This place is TASTY and I'm thrilled they are gluten free---they proudly stated it when I told them "no" to any bread or buns. I was thrilled to say the lease when they stated it without me having the ask :)

    ReplyDelete