Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Gluten free soy sauce

San J soy sauce is pretty awesome. It comes in low sodium and is available at a bunch of places. However, it usually starts at around $7....a little expensive for my blood.

So I have been looking into other brands of soy sauce. I have been told that "La Choy" offers gluten free soy sauce but is not great. (I think I saw it described online as pig sweat or something like that.) Recently on a trip to Dillions, Ashley and I found that Dillions brand soy sauce was also gluten free and crazy cheap....ridiculous cheap. Like $2 for a bottle. Sadly, you get what you pay for and I really don't like it. Ashley says it's fine but I think it is brown salt water with a bad smell and aftertaste. Yuck.

San J is still the winner. (I have found it at "Food for thought," "Whole Foods" and "Green Acres." in Wichita)

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Bragg's liquid aminos? We use it in place of soy sauce in most of our stir-frys - it's milder and not salty at all, but it's a pretty acceptable substitute. Not super cheap but Dillons and green Acres both have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like La Choy Soy Sauce. There is only a small taste difference and it works great for homemade Broccoli Beef.

    ReplyDelete