Saturday, June 13, 2009

Gluten Free Apple Crumb: Not too Crummy


Since it was my birthday last week, we bought an Apple Crumb (pie). We bought it at "Food For Thought" market. It is made by Gillian's Foods. Now since I've gone gluten free in August of 2008 I have yet to have a pie. There are lots of cakes and brownies for celiacs but not so much pie. This one was pretty good. The apples were tasty and it was sweet enough. The crust was a little tasteless and hard. The crumb part was scrumptious with a mild sandy aftertaste. I give this pie a 5/10 for regular pies, a 8/10 for gluten free and a 4/10 for pricing. ($15)

Have you had any gluten free pie? Who made it? How much was it? Where did you buy it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you both have no time for the kitchen with a wee one in the house, but I've taken to doing most of my own GF baking since it's a lot cheaper than buying a premade cake or pie. I use regular pastry recipes and sub with a GF flour mix. Here's the recipe for 3 cups of the mix: 2 cup rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch (sometimes I do 2 c. rice, 1 c. potato), 1 tsp xantham gum. This mix subs cup for cup with regular all purpose flour (I fluff it a bit to sub for cake flour). Works great in pie crusts (add a little extra z. gum for pie), cakes, cookies, biscuits and the like - they taste pretty much exactly the same as the gluteny versions and you can't go wrong with a Betty Crocker recipe :) Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete